Thursday, May 28, 2009

Back in the Cockpit

Good grief! According to the almighty log book, it had been 7.5 years since I last recorded flight time in it. That's waaaay, too long to go without getting into the air. That being the case, I scheduled my first flight this past Saturday in order to begin knocking down the flight portion of the FAA mandated flight review. Since I always renew my CFI, that effort takes care of the ground portion of the required FAA review.

After some shopping around, I elected to fly out of Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport (formerly Jeffco) in Broomfield. It's towered and somewhat busy, but not overly so. The day was overcast, but the ceiling sufficiently high that we could get out for some ground ref maneuvers, steep turns, and a bit o' slow flight. BTW, did I say there was some rust on? Anyway, I didn't bend the airplane - even when we wedged in some touch-and-goes at Longmont's Vance Brand Airport.

We flew 1.4 and it went relatively well given the nearly 2,737 days since the previous stick time. I got the plane up and down safely, but the steep turns definitely didn't meet commercial PTS. Oh, well - that's nothing flight time, a little more review instruction, and a lot more practice won't correct. I can't wait to get up and out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment